Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Trotting + pondering possible beginnings

Today sortof marks the 3.5 week mark for continuous running around. 58 miles total. Last week included three long nights at the hospital (autopsy, meeting, trauma), so I didn't run those days, yet managed to feel tired the three days I did run.

I'm thinking very seriously about this marathon business, but I think I would need to commit to some desperate measures to prevent injury. Like, maybe investing in a bucket to ice my feet in. They feel a bit apprehensive at times, and I always fear that it may develop into injury. But maybe they're just tired from the Vibram's. The marathon plan I'm thinking of following is a 16-week schedule get a beginner runner (my current fitness level) to the point where they're able to run and probably finish a marathon. It's also a 4 day/week plan, only running T/Th/S/Su. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--6946-2-3X5X7-4,00.html

RW suggests that this is for someone who does 4 mile runs like nothing, (but they are still something to me) so my plan is to build to a thirty mile week, hold it, and then start the plan. But if I start @ 20 miles/week, it'll progress (using 10% rule) like:

20 miles
22 miles
24 miles
27 miles
30 miles
30 miles
(week of September 1)-->begin 16-week marathon plan

That's 22 weeks total, with Dec 10 as the absolute earliest I could run a marathon. To be conservative, I'd add an extra few weeks to stave off injury.

Need to buy: bucket to ice feet + running hat so I don't get cataracts.

1 comment:

  1. OK --- Time to choose a race! I'll look into this more thoroughly when I get back to CO.

    ReplyDelete